Tryouts will be held August 10-16, 2018. School starts on August 20th. The following weekend we will hold “Walk-on Weekend” (Aug.24-25) to fill any additional spots from those who were not invited or aware. Potential Players must sign up to be considered for tryouts prior to August 10th, or they will be expected to participate during.
Varsity team members will receive…
- …University recognition as a member of the varsity eSports team, able to participate in sanctioned intercollegiate play as part of the official Boise State team.
- …coaching and analysis of your play and performance.
- … scrimmages and additional broadcast show matches when available.
- …you and your play featured in University eSports broadcasts, photos shoots, highlight packages, media guides, websites, and other official publications.
- …unlimited access to the team practice facility during practices and personal play sessions.
- …official varsity program gear made available for you.
- …an opportunity for travel when selected for a travel squad.
Participation as a student eSports athlete at Boise State is a privilege, and also requires players to fulfill certain expectations identified in the eSports version of the Student-Athlete Handbook. Participation is contingent upon meeting the requirements and fulfilling the expectations outlined within that document including (but not limited to)…
- …maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.0
- …following Boise State Student Code and eSports rules.
- …adherence to practice guidelines, by not organizing or participating in unsactioned team practice or coaching sessions.
- …not exceeding the 20 hours limit for “practice” (not personal play) not administrated by university eSports faculty and staff.
- …not participating as a professional, on pro teams, or in non-collegiate tournaments during the season.
- …not seeking additional coaching for teammates or promote methods counter to those taught by official university coaches.
- … and all other stipulations outlined in the handbook.
If you cannot meet these expectations or are not satisfied with the benefits, DO NOT APPLY.
Class times and practice times for teams will be fixed. Varsity practice will be from 3-6 PM on either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday. They will be in association with a new course being offered next year called EDTECH 297: Lifetime eSports (1cr). While multiple sections of this course will be available, varsity team members will need to register. Practice for Varsity Players will be held from 3-6:00 PM during this time.
Overwatch/Hearthstone/Heroes of the Storm
- EDTECH 297: Lifetime eSports (Sect. 0001) Monday and Wednesday 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm* AND/OR
- EDTECH 297: Lifetime eSports (Sect. 0002) Monday and Wednesday 4:30 pm – 5:45 pm*
League of Legends/Rocket League
- EDTECH 297: Lifetime eSports (Sect. 0003) Tuesday and Thursday 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm* AND/OR
- EDTECH 297: Lifetime eSports (Sect. 0004) Tuesday and Thursday 4:30 pm – 5:45 pm*
* Practice for Varsity Players will be held from 3-6:00 PM during this time.
These class times will be available for open enrollment for others as well, they just will participate in the regular Lifetime eSports curriculum.
Tuesday will likely be our Broadcast Day for match-ups Between 6 and 9 PM. Some Saturdays may be required by the tournament organizers.
If you have additional questions, contact Dr. Chris Haskell, Co-Director and Head Coach (208-426-4217).